The statistics say it clearly: At least 90 percent of adolescents suffer from acne vulgaris — an inflammatory skin condition characterized by superficial skin eruptions caused by plugging out of the skin pores. Appearing on the face and shoulders, acne may extend to the trunks, arms and legs.
More than anything, acne is a major concern among teenagers today. Studies show teenagers become more hesitant to socialize because of trauma due to acne, it tends to lower their self-esteem. It occurs in both sexes and at all ages. This skin disorder can be inherited especially when one or both parents had acne during their younger years.
A major concern among adolescents, stopping acne starts when no one knows its causes and from there, take action to prevent it from popping again. Below are a few simple tips from dermatologist Madeleine Sembrano, of St. Luke’s Medical Center.
- Wash twice a day. Because teenagers produce more oil, it’s best for them to wash face twice a day with warm water and a mild cleanser.
- Avoid harsh scrubs. They should choose facial scrubs that can exfoliate the skin’s dead skin cells and excess oil.
- No to alcohol. When using a toner, products with high concentrations of isoprophyl alcohol (more commonly known as rubbing alcohol) should be avoided. Alcohol strips the skin’s top layer causing the glands to produce more oil.
- Don’t squeeze or pick. Squeezing or picking zits and blemishes with fingernails, pins, or anything can result in greater inflammation and infection.
- Hands off! Touching the face with unclean hands can drive bacteria deep into the pores.
- Avoid sun exposure. Using sunscreen is helpful in covering one’s self from the harsh rays of the sun. Dermatologists advise sun protection products that are oil-free and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 for both UVA and UVB rays.
- Seek expert’s advice. A dermatologist knows what specific anti-acne brand can better those zits.
So for young men and women, having acne is not the end of the world for you. You need to suffer from it and get stuck inside our room every gimmick night. All you need to do is keep in mind these simple and easy steps and use the right anti-acne remedy and soon, you’ll be showing off your zit-free skin to your friends.