Today’s pace of life is so unstoppable and crazy that it’s no wonder we (unfortunately) often miss birthdays of people we love.
Busy schedules, messed up minds, failing memory, and endless rush… we run and run, and suddenly realize we’ve missed someone’s red letter day. Embarrassment. Shame. Confusion.
If this happens, there’s a high risk your family or friends think you don’t care about them enough to remember their birthday – and it’s the worst part. So, finding the right words and saying the right thing is truly important.
That’s why we decided to compile this list of thoughtful happy belated birthday quotes and postcards to make it easier for you to say “Sorry I missed your Birthday”.
Lovely Belated Birthday Wishes
Missing someone’s birthday is awful, but unless you continue ignoring this person until the next B-day, there’s plenty you can do to fix the situation, and sending your late birthday wishes with apologies is the least you can do.
If your birthday girl or boy is slightly mad at you but has a good sense of humor, consider sending some cute belated happy birthday messages and stick to a bit apologetic tone.
- I would never forget your birthday. I just thought that you still deserve a birthday greeting even if your birthday is already over. Belated happy birthday, my friend!
- I’m sorry I missed your Birthday, but the only reason I did it is you don’t get older at all! I wish you to stay and look young forever! Happy belated B-Day!
- I’m sorry that this birthday message came a day late. When the reality of life takes over, you just can’t help but get lost in the routine of everyday things. I hope it was a lovely celebration. Belated happy birthday!
- I’m aware that I’m a little behind with my birthday greeting. But you should also know that I have arranged a little surprise for you to make up for not being there on your birthday. I hope you like it. Belated happy birthday, sweetheart.
- There’s no way to bring back your birthday that has just passed, but we can celebrate it again with me present this time. Belated happy birthday, sweetie!
- How can you possibly expect me to remember your birthday when you never age? It defies the laws of logic. Belated happy birthday to the ageless wonder that is my bestie!
- Although I lost my mind for all 24 hours of your birthday and forgot to wish “happy birthday” to you, I hope you’ll accept a “belated happy birthday” now as a down payment for a BIG, BIG, BIG birthday hug.
- Hope your birthday was as incredibly special to you as you are to me. Sure, I know my wishes are a little late but they are nevertheless as true as ever!
- I know you love birthdays, so I’m sending my birthday greeting a bit late so that you will still have something to look forward to. Belated happy birthday to you!
- Since I am late in wishing you the best for your birthday, I am positive that there is no left-over cake for me. But is there still any friendship and love left over? Belated happy birthday!
- Hope you had a great birthday. I missed eating your cake on your birthday, so I plan to eat at least two desserts today to make up for it.
- Hope your birthday was the best ever. I’m very sorry I missed it — it totally slipped my mind. I guess that’s what happens when you’ve had too many birthdays of your own.
- Belated “happy birthday” to a friend who has earned the right to forget my birthday at least once in our lifetime (no expiration).
- Don’t think that I forgot your birthday; it’s just that it took me a lot of time to decide over this great gift – I hope you enjoy it. Sorry for getting late. Belated happy birthday – have a great one!
Funny Belated Birthday Greetings
The ideal belated birthday wishes include the right mix of positivity, sincerity, and humor. So, if you’re sure your birthday boy or girl is not mad at your forgetfulness, and have a great sense of humor as well, there’s nothing better than funny belated birthday greetings.
Make them laugh and feel special, show how much you care, even if you forgot about their B-Day.
- I truly think that everything worked out even though I was late because now it is a surprise! Don’t you like surprises? I wanted to put a little spice in your life this year. You are welcome.
- I know that my birthday greetings are never on time, but at least I know your birthday is in January! Belated happy birthday, buddy!
- To make sure you don’t forget my wishes, I decided to congratulate you on the morning after your birthday. I wish you everything that makes your life interesting, and you – happy!
- I missed your birthday, so I’m sending you this extra-large hug and triple sweet kisses to make up for it. Belated happy birthday to you!
- You’re probably thinking that I’m a crappy friend because I forgot to greet you on your birthday. I don’t know how I could’ve forgotten it, but it must be a sign of aging. Belated happy birthday, sweetie.
- The truth is I just didn’t want to remind you that you’re getting older and more wrinkled. Belated happy birthday to my oldest friend in the world!
- Do you ever have those moments when you seriously thought it was a Monday but it was already a Tuesday? That’s what happened here. Belated happy birthday, my friend.
- The bad news is that this birthday greeting is late. The good news is that you don’t look your age. Belated happy birthday!
- Belated happy birthday! I know you’re pissed off because I did not greet you on time. Don’t worry, I won’t get mad if you forget my birthday this year.
- Hmmm. Team Punctual or Team Late. Like Team Edward or Team Jacob, this was a very hard decision for me. I went with Team Late, and I hope that you can support me like a good friend.
- Hey, I know I forgot about you on your big day, but at least I eventually remembered you! At our age, this is really saying something about how strong our friendship is. Belated happy birthday to my old but extremely lovable friend!
- I really and truly regret that I missed your birthday. To make up for lost time, I have decided to compensate by eating double the usual amount of cake. I’m doing this all for you, buddy!
- Because I missed your birthday, I missed out on so many amazing things: birthday cake, time with you, and birthday cake are just a few. Can you tell what I missed the most? Just kidding. Time with you is more amazing than birthday cake. But just by a hair!
- Hope you had a wonderful birthday. I’m a little late, so I hope you’re on the “better late than never” team. Yaaaaay, late team!
- A real friend takes you drinking on your birthday to make you forget your age. I forgot your birthday but we can still go drinking to forget I forgot it. Wishing you a belated happy birthday!
- Belated birthday wishes are like the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and Easter Bunny. All come bearing gifts…just not on your birthday. Happy birthday, anyway.
Sincere Belated Happy B-Day Messages
In case your B-day girl or boy is very mad at you, humor might not work, so it would be better to come to a thoughtful apologetic path, staying sincere and heartfelt. Do your best to put the right wording and emotion into your belated wishes, and you’re guaranteed to see a forgiving smile on your loved one.
- I may have forgotten the exact date of your birthday, but I promise that I will never forget what an amazing person you are. You are delightful, caring, and loving. I am beyond happy that I have you in my life, and I hope that you know I am so very sorry my birthday wishes are late.
- Even if I’m sending this birthday message late, it doesn’t mean that you’re not important to me, or that I don’t care enough. Sometimes my memory just fails me. I love you! Belated happy birthday!
- Although my birthday greeting may be late, it comes absolutely from the heart. I love you. I miss you. Belated happy birthday!
- I hope that your year is as wonderful as this message is late! I am so sorry that I am so late. Please know that I feel incredibly bad that this happened, and I still wish you the very best.
- I’m so lucky to have such a great friend like you… who’d forgive me if I forgot his/her birthday. Happy belated birthday!
- I have been late for my class, my graduation, my bills, and everything. Sorry that I forgot, but I love you the most. Happiest birthday to you!
- Surely, there isn’t a time limit on affection and love? You are a phenomenal person, and I hope that your day was every bit as wonderful as you are to me. Belated happy birthday!
‘Sorry I Missed Your Birthday’ Belated Wishes
Should your belated birthday greeting be serious and apologetic? Definitely yes, if your B-day boy or girl is an uncompromising tough nut.
Stay confident and don’t get embarrassed – try to find the right words to say “Sorry” for your forgetfulness.
- Since I was an idiot and missed your big day, I decided to send twice the number of hugs, kisses, and well wishes your way. I hope that these can console you or at least brighten your day.
- I know I’m late and I’m sorry. I hope this simple message will not make you stop being a friend to me. Belated happy birthday! I hope it was a lovely birthday celebration.
- I hope your birthday was a fun and wonderful affair. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there with you. Belated happy birthday!
- I hope that your birthday was another one for the books. I’m so sorry to have missed it. Belated happy birthday.
- I never meant to hurt your feelings or make you feel unimportant. Please know that I am unbelievably sorry that I missed your birthday and that I hope it was as incredible as you are.
- I’m so sorry I missed your birthday. I wish I could’ve been there to celebrate with you because I’m sure it was phenomenal because you are. Please accept my apologies and well wishes.
- I’m so sorry I missed your birthday. I must have lost my head or something. Hope you had a truly special day anyway.
- I feel so bad for the belated birthday wishes. I’m eternally sorry and would like to give up one of my kids/pets as a token of my apology. Your pick!
Happy Belated Happy Birthday Postcards
Better late than never, right?