For the past 10 years, the Jr. NBA Philippines presented by Alaska has helped boys and girls by teaching them the fundamental skills and core values of basketball, starting from the grassroots level in an effort to encourage youth basketball participation in the country.
This year, Jr. NBA Philippines 2018 presented by Alaska, began its campaign with a tip off last January 13, 2018 at the Don Bosco Technical Institute in Makati. The program will run through until May 2018 where the top 37 boys and 37 girls from the regional selection camp will advance for the National Training Camp to be held in Manila.
As a concerted effort by the NBA and Alaska for several years now, it has produced notable alumni like Aljon Mariano, Kobe Paras, Kiefer and Thirdy Ravena, Ricci Rivero, and Kai Sotto.
According to NBA Philippines Managing Director Carlo Singson, this program not only promotes an active and healthy lifestyle among the Filipino youth, it has also provides proper guidelines to how the game should be played and taught to more youth, coaches and parents in the country.
So what are the top things to expect from this year’s Jr. NBA Philippines presented by Alaska?
- The platform aims to reach more than 250,000 participants and 900 coaches across the country.
- Along with NBA clinics that will be held at different cities and municipalities across the country, the program will return to key provinces including Agusan Del Norte, Batangas, Benguet, Cavite, Misamis Oriental, and Negros Occidental.
- The Regional Selection Camps will be held in the following cities:
Bacolod (Feb. 10-11)
Butuan (Feb. 24-25)
Baguio (March 17-18), and
Metro Manila (April 7-8)
- While there no announcements yet as to which NBA and WNBA player or legend will coach in the National Training Camp, they have been a fixture for years now.
- For the Jr. NBA Coach of the Year program, it will be led by Jr. NBA Head Coaches Carlos Barroca and Alaska Power Camp Coach Jeff Cariaso. Taining for 14 Jr. NBA coaches will be provided at the National Training Camp. Two Jr. NBA Coaches of the Year awarded with an NBA experience trip.
- Alaska Milk will up the ante on their NUTRITION.ACTION.CHAMPION. program. It will highlight the nutritional benefits of milk, encourages physical activity through play, and to instil values that are essential to becoming a champion.
Online registration for the Jr. NBA Philippines 2018 presented by Alaska is now open at www.jrnba.asia/philippines.
Coaches and participants can also register for the Jr. NBA program online at www.jrnba.asia/philippines