Eduard Folayang is one of the Mixed Martial Arts stars from the Philippines. He boasts of an impressive record and he has the awards to prove it. He is called the “Landslide” partly owing to his place of origin (Baguio City) and he pretty much overwhelms his opponents with the force of a landslide. He is currently associated with the Baguio City-based Team Lakay.
Folayang was born in Baguio City in 1984. He started training in wushu (sanshou/sanda) when he was 16 years old. As a wushu athlete, he has won bouts in several tournaments. In 2007, he entered the world of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) when he took part in the Universal Reality Combat Championship where he won his first MA title by defeating Allan Co in the welterweight division.
In 2010, he has also signed up for Martial Combat. On July 14 of that year, he won the lightweight title from Mongolian Bao She Ri Gu Leng.
In 2011, he signed up for ONE Championship promotions where he has distinguished himself in several fights. In 2016, he had his shot for the title when he faced Shinya Aoki and won. He defended his title against Ev Ting in ONE 54 on April 2017 but lost in against Martin Nguyen in ONE 64.
Despite the loss, Folayang is raring to get back to his winning ways. He said he has learned much from his last fight and has made efforts to improve. At the same time, he has been coaching and providing support for other Team Lakay fighters in their ONE matches. He promised to be focused and to give it his all when he steps into the arena once more.
Accolades and Honors
- Gold Medalist, 2011 Southeast Asian Games
- Silver Medalist, 2006 Asian Games
- Gold Medalist, 2005 Southeast Asian Games
- Bronze Medalist, 2005 world Championships
- Gold Medalist, 2003 Southeast Asian Games
- Bronze Medalist, 2002 Asian Games
- URCC Welterweight Championship (2007)
- Martial Combat Superfight Lightweight Championship (2010)
- ONE Lightweight Championship (2016)
- #1 Pound for Pound MMA Fighter in the Philippines
Featured Image Source: ONE Championship