The 2017 Metro Manila Film Festival awards night or (MMFF) Gabi ng Parangal just crowned their big winners last night. Among the most awarded is Ang Larawan, an adaptation of National Artist for Literature Nick Joaquin’s play A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino, which won Best Picture. The venue was held at the Kia Theatre at the Araneta Center, Quezon City.
The 2017 Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) winners. Photo courtesy of Twitter/MJ Felipe
Derek Ramsay won the Best Actor award for the movie All of You, while Paul Soriano won Best Director for the movie Siargao. Ms. Joanna Ampil took home the Best Actress award for her role in Ang Larawan.
Dabarkads Eat Bulaga’s Baeby Baste took home the Best Child Performer award for his performance in “Meant to Beh” . This is his first time to join the annual film festival.
Ang Larawn is a musical based on the late Nick Joaquin’s three-act stage play “A Portrait of the Artist As Filipino”, telling the tale of the Marasigan sisters, their father, his self-portrait and Manila high-society in the mid-1930’s to early 1940’s .
Metro Manila Film Festival 2017 Awards
- Best Picture: Ang Larawan
- 2nd Best Picture: Siargao
- 3rd Best Picture: All of You
- Gatpuno Antonio J. Villegas Cultural Award: Ang Larawan
- Fernando Poe Jr. Memorial Award: Ang Panday
- Best Director: Paul Soriano, Siargao
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Derek Ramsay, All of You
- Best Actress in a Leading Role: Joanna Ampil, Ang Larawan
- Special Jury Prize: Nick Joaquin and Coco Martin
- Full-Length Film – People’s Choice Award: Gandarrapiddo: The Revenger Squad
- Best Screenplay: All of You
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Edgar Allan Guzman for Deadma Walking
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Jasmine Curtis-Smith for Siargao
- Best Child Performer: Baby Baste for Meant to Beh
- Best Cinematography: Siargao
- Best Sound: Siargao
- Best Theme Song: “Alon” by Hale for Siargao
- Best Editing: Siargao
- Best Visual Effects: Ang Panday
- Best Musical Score: Ang Larawan
- Best Production Design: Ang Larawan
- Best Float: Deadma Walking
- Children’s Choice Award: And Panday
- Short Film – People’s Choice Award: Noel
- Short Film – Best Picture: Anong Nangyari kay Nicanor Dante?
- Star of the Night (Female) – Erich Gonzales
- Star of the Night (Male) – Derek Ramsay
|Gat Puno Antonio Villegas Cultural Award||Ang Larawan|
|FPJ Memorial Award for Excellence||Ang Panday|
|Male Star of the Night||Derek Ramsay|
|Female Star of the Night||Erich Gonzales|
|Best Float Award||Deadma Walking|
|Children’s Choice||Ang Panday|
|People’s Choice||The Revenger Squad|
|First Special Jury Prize||Nick Joaquin, Ang Larawan|
|Second Special Jury Prize||Coco Martin, Ang Panda|
There were 8 short films shown in selected theaters among the list were “Anino” by Malaya Ad Castillo, “Anong Nangyari kay Nicanor Dante?” by Brian Spencer Reyes, “Black Market” by Gio Gonzalves, “Crab Mental” by Joaquin Bamba, “Gunita” by Ryceanne Marie Manlulu, “Isang Gabi” by Gio Gonzalves, “Kinalimutan Natin ang mga Bata” by Gilb Baldoza and “Noel” by Win Gonzales.
The awards night features the newly designed trophy by art designer Clifford Espinosa of Espinosa Arts and Design.
This year’s film festival saw the return of more commercially viable films compared to last year’s festival, which was dominated by independent movies.
The television coverage of the awards night will be aired on TV5 at 4:15 p.m on Thursday, December 28.
Metro Manila Film Festival 2017 will run until January 7, 2018 .