Cycling events in the country are few and far in between and when it happens it’s usually a big occasion. This 2018, British life insurer Pru Life UK will start the new year with a bang with the launch of one of the biggest cycling events in the Philippines – PRUride PH 2018.
The event is set to gather some of the national team cyclists from the country and across Southeast Asia with two competition legs – January 11 to 14, 2018 at the Subic Bay Freeport Zone in Zambales, and January 21 at McKinley West, Taguig.
More than 5,000 participants are expected to sign up for the event with cyclists coming from amateur and age-group riders to Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) license holders.
At a media launch held at The Brewery in Uptown Bonifacio, Pru Life UK SVP and Chief Marketing Officer Allan Tumbaga shared that PRUride PH 2018 is Pru Life UK’s commitment to promote responsible and safe cycling as well as increase awareness on cycling as an alternative mode of transportation toward a safe and environment-friendly community for the generations to come.
It is also an advocacy for Pru Life UK as it continues its partnership with NBO, an advocacy organization that champions cycling as an alternative mode of transportation and lifestyle.
Moreover, the event aims to promote Bataan and Subic tourism and show the world that the Philippines is at par with other countries as a cycling destination and in terms of the beauty of our country side.
Here are the top things that professional and amateur cyclists can look forward to in an event that promises to be one of the most exciting cycling and sporting event in this side of the world:
- A line-up of 36 racing activities including the Professional Individual Time Trial, Amateur Time Trial, and the 100-kilometer Gran Fondo to be held in Subic.
- A 160-kilometer course for UCI license holders and elite professionals that will lead them to the historic peak of Mount Samat in Pilar, Bataan. The PRUride Gran Fondo will bring them to the picturesque roads of Bataan province on a leisurely but timed 100-kilometer ride.
- Appearances of seasoned cyclists like national athletes Marella Salamat and George Oconer as they too, put their skills to test at the PRUride Professional Road Race, a UCI-accredited (class B) event and a platform for young athletes aspiring to be in the national cycling team to show off their talents.
- A uniquely Filipino Brompton Challenge, first time to be held in the Philippines where it will showcase its two main events which will definitely bring laughter, if not tears, to both spectators and participants alike.
- The Slowest Lap Challenge is a test of balance where the slowest participant to cross the finish line without stepping on the ground wins the event.
- The Brompton Criterium, which utilizes the folding bikes of its namesake, is a 30-minute race with two laps. Participants are required to wear a formal top and will begin with their bikes folded at the starting line. At the sound of the horn, participants will run, unfold their bikes and ride. The local Brompton Criterium will be flavored with a Filipino twist and will require riders to wear a barong tagalog or Filipiniana top.
- Chance to win an exclusive and big ticket prizes. This year’s prize pool is expected to be a total of more than PhP 1 million worth of cash prizes wherein PhP 50,000 is at stake for the top finishers of all Elite professional categories for both men and women.
- Six all-expense-paid trips to London for two for the grand winners of the men and women Elite Criterium in McKinley West, and two for the men and women Professional Road Race winners in Subic. Two trips that will be raffled off during the Bike Community Days for both Subic and Mckinley participants.
- And lastly, a limited-edition PRUride PH 2018 jersey and all finishers will be awarded with a finisher medal.
PRUride PH 2018 is held in partnership with Integrated Cycling Federation of the Philippines, Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority, National Bicycle Organization, and the local government unit of the Province of Bataan.
Learn more about the event and register by logging on to http://pruride.ph.