“Relationships breathe life into our lives, adding color, tears and laughter, but how much do we truly understand them?”
Last year, British life insurer Pru Life UK launched the Pru Life UK Relationship Index (PRI) on personal relationship satisfaction. Pru Life UK surveyed nine countries in Asia such Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines and China, and asked them how satisfied they are with relationship with their partner and families. The Philippines was ranked second in terms of personal relationship satisfaction that year.
For the 2017 results of the Pru Life UK Relationship Index (PRI), survey showed that the Philippines is once again ranked second in terms of personal relationship satisfaction among the nine markets in Asia. Having a PRI score of 79/100, which means that relationships in the Philippines fulfil 79% of people’s needs and expectations, leaving only a 21% relationship gap. Cambodia have the highest PRI score.
Chief Marketing Officer Allan Tumbaga said, “Helping our clients understand their relationships better is very important for us. Research shows that better relationships directly translate to a greater sense of well-being and significant improvement in health and longevity.”
In the media presentation held at the Tomatito, Bonifacio Global City on November 10, Pru Life UK released the results on the second edition of the PRI findings for the Philippines. Guests who were present that day such as relationship expert Dr. Margaret Holmes, financial and relationship dynamics guru RJ Ledesma, and celebrity talk show host and LGBT rights supporter Boy Abunda gave insightful discussions about relationships.
What is amazing about the discussion is that the guests have the same sentiment with the people surveyed for Pru Life UK Relationship Index. They touched on the point that in most cases, relationship affects every decision they make in their lives.
Here are several important results of the survey culled from the responses of the Filipinos who participated in the survey:
In 2016, Filipinos expressed their love for each other more than anyone else in Asia. This year, Filipinos are the most expressive in the region in communicating with their partners. They are the most likely to tell their partners they love them (86%) and to laugh together on a frequent basis (90%).
People in relationships who tell their partner everything have a relationship score of (80%), while those who claim they do not tell their partner everything score lower, at (68%).
Despite the high level of relationship fulfilment, Filipinos still wouldn’t say their partners are perfect. They want their partner to be more responsible (38%), to be more attentive (34%), and to be more communicative (33%).
Five years from now, most Filipino couples expect their personal finances to improve (89%) when they plan their finances together. It said that couples who are more transparent with each other on their finances fare better on the relationship index.
Filipino couples who make financial plans together have scored high on partner relationship (81%) than those who plan separately (63%). With their finances, working with a financial agent will improve their relationship (63%).
Filipino couple financial goals includes starting a new business (59%), having enough money to travel with the family (49%), supporting the children’s education (45%) and saving enough for future retirement (42%).
On financial security, Filipinos worry about whether they will have enough money for retirement and medical expenses (75%). When they reach old age, most of their provision would either come on their own personal savings (87%) or continue working to support themselves (36%) while others expect their children to provide them with financial support (32%).
Almost half of the people surveyed (47%) have concerns about their family’s financial situation should anything ever happen to them.
In the future, more like thirty years from now, Filipinos that were surveyed believe their relationships will show big improvements. In five years’ time, they believe that their love life will get better (72%) – the most optimistic among the nine countries surveyed.
By 2050, Filipinos who were surveyed predict that the state of relationships by then said that separation will be socially acceptable (80%); over half of the couples living together will not be married (77%); expect that over half of the children will be born to unmarried parents (74%); children will have a better future than they do now (70%); and that same sex marriage will be legal in the Philippines (65%).
For the complete results of the 2017 Pru Life UK Relationship Index (PRI), visit https://www.prulifeuk.com.ph/